SCHOOL AT A GLANCE
The Railway Higher Secondary School was established as a Company School of the erstwhile British System in 1894 as primary school. It was recognized by the Director of Public Instructions, Madras Presidency by Mr. David Duncan on 13.09.1895 (No. 4906 of 13.09.1895) mainly catering to the needs of the European / Anglo Indian Officers’ wards. It mainly catered to the needs of British and Anglo Indian Officers’ wards. The school moved to its main building on 11-11-1911 on the same day the Victoria Edward Hall, another ancient building of Madurai was inaugurated. With the humble beginning as a Primary school it grew into a Higher Secondary School. This school has been serving the cause of education chiefly to the needs of the wards of Railway employees for the past 118 years.
It is to the credit of the vision of the Railway Officers that this school with a small beginning has new growth to a Higher Secondary School with English Medium education, almost completely free for the wards of Railway Employees. Standards VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, were added in 1960, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965 and 1966 respectively. From 1966 till date the results of the High School and Higher Secondary Exams have above 95% with 100% results in between. At present Railway Hr. Sec. School, Madurai is affiliated to Central Board of Education, New Delhi.
The Parent Teachers co-operation has always been excellent and the organized unions have been taking a very keen interest in the development of the school.
The striking feature of the school is the very high emphasis on Sports and Games. The school has brought credit to the Madurai District by winning the state level events.
The scout and guide groups of the school are very active and have been producing Rashtrapathi awardees every year.